There

Lessons are learned, not conceived.
Yet confessions are not to be kept.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Beggar

Many times I was approached by beggars of different ages, gender,and looks. But I don't give them anything, at least, not all the time. Many times I asked myself what to do when faced in such situations.

What would I give? How much? Should I run away? What would he do with the money I give him? Is he a part of a syndicate? Why don't he look for a job? Why should this man so dependent on people? Doesn't he have what it takes to feed himself?

Sometimes I find myself looking away, or pretending not to look at the poor person--or pretending to be one-- so I could spare the little pennies I have. Sometimes I give what I could spare just to ease up my conscience. Rarely I treat the beggar with a little food, perhaps a piece of bread and a drink--just to make sure the money would somehow go to somewhere worthwhile. And once, ONLY ONCE, I did what I thought was impossible for me to do: to share something I hold dear, the Word of God.

I wonder why there are still people like them even in the super-power countries. Good or bad government, there are still beggars. Even Jesus Himself said,"You will always have the poor among you..."

Maybe the problem is not really eradicating poverty. Only God Himself can make one man rich and another poor. Some uneducated people go rich. some college graduates end up in slums.

Maybe the problem is the absence of Christ in the hearts of men.. "...but you will not always have me." [Jn. 12:8]

I still do have compassion for my poor brethren. I know what it's like to be poor, to have nothing. I know deep in my heart that I want to help them.

What would Jesus do?

It was not written that he gave them money. Instead he gave them what they needed. He healed the sick, make a blind beggar see and many things.

Peter and John made a crippled beggar walk in using the name of Jesus.

I wish that I have that kind of faith to say “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”. I haven't done that too. I still don't have the boldness.

I have clothes, money, and most importantly, a deep and experiential knowledge of Christ, but I learned that we are no better than beggars. We have nothing. Everyday we 'beg' God for forgiveness of sins. We are very reliant on God. We cannot even work for our own righteousness. Still God graciously forgives us every time we confess our sins to Him.

I can only give what I have.

1 comment: